Sunday, October 3, 2010

Who is Brian Davis, London writer and poet?

Some friends recently shared with me poems written by Brian Davis, a British writer, wanderer, and, as far as I can tell from my friends, lifelong lost soul.  Brian, whom I never knew, or even heard of before my friends shared his poems, died mysteriously (no foul play involved, but mysterious all the same)--a fall from a window.  At least, my friends think it was a fall.  What makes his end so mysterious to me, or perhaps intriguing, is one of the poems my friends shared with me . . .

Chet Baker
A true story

Even if you were blind drunk and all strung out on speedballs,
You could sing My Funny Valentine and, guess what? I would have
close calls
With the heart surgeon. As a wise guy said, you never could
resist a pretty tune:
She Was Too Good for You. Your Future Just Passed. You
Wished on the Moon.
You had the looks, of course, ravaged maybe, but Dean-like,
magic;
Your fate was written in the stars, lucky ones, not tragic.
I got lucky myself: remember that Paris boite where you
chanced upon me
And asked: “Having a good time? You look like you need a
drink or three.”
Sure. We didn’t talk of music, to which you danced so
Beautifully,
But of places to stay in Paris. You were at a favourite and said:
“Feel free
To go there, tell them you’re a friend of mine and you’ll get
a special rate.”
You left me to resume your set, asking the barman to keep
me in drinks. Funny. Fate
Decreed that, after this terrific night, I had to leave and I
never stayed
At your hotel. Well, time’s passed and you’re all played
Out. Vain
Perhaps your exit, jumping out a window in the
Leidserpleine.
Hey ho. I’ve got a deal in Paris, so I’ll go there and lie at
your place. Bet
I love it. It may not be the Hyatt, but I can say, quite loudly,
“Bonjour, monsieur, j’etais un ami de Chet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment