Thursday, April 15, 2021

Both Ways Now Follow-up (4.15.21)

We made an interesting discovery during our salon yesterday.  It was the session, you'll recall, that was devoted to poems that can be read both forwards and backwards, from first line to last and vice versa.  

The discovery: everybody agreed that most of the poems we shared were better when read "backwards," from last line to first.

Why would this be?

Hard to say, but I have two theories, one reader-based, the other writer-based.  The reader-based theory is that having read through the poem top to bottom first, everyone knew what to expect going backwards, bottom to top.  It's rather like watching a play or a movie that everyone's familiar with, or whose subject everyone already knows well--the anticipation is pleasing precisely because you know what's coming.  Shakespeare banked on this with the history plays.

The writer-based theory is that, having written the first few lines of the poem, the writer began thinking seriously about how the poem would read "in reverse" and still hang together like a poem as well or better than the "forward" version.  Which is to say, writers began focusing intensely on poetic quality as the initial draft progressed, honing the lines with structure, connectivity, sense and flow in mind.  Thus, the "backwards" reading began to take compositional precedence.

I think at least that might explain my own experience writing this poem . . .

The Story of the Passerby

Going by and by all day
No matter how fast or how far,
Wherever I find myself traveling,
A fellow traveler passing by,
As if to keep me on my toes,
Leans softly into his business,
With purpose and like a ghost,
Mercury in Air Jordans, maybe,
Someone I’ve never met and never shall,
A man of myth, a man of dreams,
A perfect, recurring stranger


Another problem I encountered, which I failed to resolve adequately to my taste, was what to do with punctuation.  Some in yesterday's salon simply dispensed with it altogether.  I tried periods, semi-colons, but settled on commas as the least distracting & most accurate.

Fun project!

No comments:

Post a Comment