Friday, February 4, 2022

We were rapping about rap one day and . . . (2.4.22)

I haven't read What's Good: Notes on Rap and Language yet, haven't even read the review of it in the NYT Book Review, but judging by its title, I'm guessing it's a must-read.  For me, for you, for anybody practicing the art of poetry today, in English at least.  So, I give you the link.

In fact, I think I'll order the book and figure out how to use it at Wednesdays@One.  After all, it hasn't been that long ago that I staked the future of American poetry on hip-hop and how thoroughly language can be refurbished through that sub-genre.  

If poetry is the working of the material of language into art, then rap or hip-hop is the leading edge of what we're up to today in poetry, and one of those innovations that keeps poetry current generation after generation of writers.


No comments:

Post a Comment